About Me

My photo
Washington, DC, United States
I don't write here nearly as much as I should, but when I do, I'll try to make it count for something.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Charity: The Finest Thing in Life

So hey, you know what's hard? Saving money when you're a single gal in the city, supporting yourself, on a so-so salary. The problem is I really love life so much. I mean, as my friend Caraline would say, it's an awesome problem to have! But still a problem.

I love to go out and experience new things - new restaurants, new bars, new destinations. I don't have anything tying me down so I can just say, "Hey! I'm going to NYC this weekend! Why not?" I love buying pretty things. I like treating my friends to things. I like taking myself to the movies. I like celebrating birthdays and weddings and babies! There are more important things in life than money and objects... but seriously, a new pair of burgundy-colored Wellies would make me feel very close to euphoric. They're beautiful and imagine all the puddles I could splash in and how adorable I'd look doing it! Oh, and gosh, and getting manicures at Mimosa Salon - the hand massages and the free glasses of champagne? I mean, if that isn't happiness, I don't know what is!

And please... don't even get me started on my books. And magazine subscriptions! Where would my life be without F. Scott Fitzgerald and Martha Stewart? The dumps, that's where.

That all being said, I clearly have a problem, yes? I love life too much! I just need to learn how to reallocate that money-spending energy which brings me to...

I actually had a conversation with a friend the other day, and I went on my usual tirade on the importance of taking action and getting involved in our communities. I volunteer but not as much as I used to and not as much as I should. I want to give back and I feel pretty passionately about it but I let excuses like work get in the way. And honestly, I hang out with my friends a lot... I could sacrifice a couple happy hours a week and do more, can't I? Shouldn't I?

I decided that I'm going to start going to DC City Council meetings and learn more about local legislature and how it impacts the community. I need to put my money where my mouth is, so to speak. I'm constantly telling people they have the power to do more, and you know what? So do I.

I love the finer things in life and they make me happy - fancy dinners and nice dresses and weekend trips. But I think giving back would actually make me way happier.

Hey who knows? Maybe I'll be the next Leslie Knope! Maybe with slightly less pep and cuter outfits.

No comments:

Post a Comment