About Me

My photo
Washington, DC, United States
I don't write here nearly as much as I should, but when I do, I'll try to make it count for something.

Friday, January 14, 2011

The Winds Grow Colder, and Suddenly You're Older.

First of all, and most importantly, I love Judy Garland. I don't think "love" even fully explains it, actually. I feel CONNECTED to her. It's like, she was this force - and even though her life was a mess, and she was clearly deeply saddened throughout most of it, there's something about the joy and brightness that springs from her eyes and her every step and that Voice every single time she was on screen. I recently re-watched A Star Is Born for about the millionth time and I never tire of that film. How can anything be so incredibly melancholy and hopeful at the same time? And the fact that it was filmed during one of the most troubled times in her life, and the fact that she was still able to exude such... charm and such bliss, at times, despite it all is just incredible. And the agony when she tells her manager about how much she hates her husband for all this alcoholic and emotional problems and herself for not being enough - wow. I feel like I connect with her so much because she could put on a smile and laugh so easily but inside she had a constant ball of insecurity knotting up and preventing her from making decisions for just herself. Plus, every single time I hear her sing "The Man That Got Away" and "Get Happy" (the latter from Summer Stock, another favorite), I am overwhelmed with... all kinds of wonderful emotions.



Anyway, if you haven't seen A Star Is Born, please see it right away. Seriously. It's awesome. (Though, if you're a film geek - like myself - the shoddy editing might bother you. I, however, love Judy too much to care about that).

Aaaaaaand now I'm on another show tunes kick. Feel sorry for my co-workers. Ha!

Next blog: Restaurant week shenanigans. It's gonna be a big one. <3

1 comment:

  1. Damn girl....now I TOTALLY need to see this movie. Excellent review and I can see myself really liking it.

    ReplyDelete