About Me

My photo
Washington, DC, United States
I don't write here nearly as much as I should, but when I do, I'll try to make it count for something.

Friday, December 28, 2012

What's In a Dream, You Ask?

So last night I had a dream and today I remember it vividly. It's weird for me to recall a dream this well after it has happened - usually it's just fragments, puzzle pieces that I need to put together. I woke up from this dream feeling... out of sorts and I'm not entirely sure why or what it means.

In this dream it was NYE and my friends Mel and Emily were having a party at their house (they actually have an apartment in real life but a row house in my dream).

Some of our mutual friends were there. Some strangers. There was an African man playing a Bobby Darin record. I brought my dog, Lee, with me to the party but he was being strangely well-behaved and quiet. My friend Chris keeps putting Lee in his backpack and carrying him around. There seems to be an endless amount of rooms to this house. I walk into one room and then into another and another and another. Suddenly I'm in a room alone except for the African man. He's singing "Dream Lover" with the voice of Bobby Darin and then stops abruptly. I get really cold and realize that it's because the door behind me is open, a draft is coming in. I walk out the door and I'm on the front stoop of the house where a few of my friends are smoking cigars and playing with a deck of cards. I decide that I have to bring Lee home. Chris is also on the stoop - he takes Lee out of his backpack and hands him to me. Lee is sleeping. I hail a cab and get in. I'm suddenly in a different city but it's unclear which one. The cab picks up another passenger - Robert Redford as Hubbell Gardiner. He smiles at me but it's unsettling. He says, “People living alone get used to loneliness.” The cab stops, I get out, it drives off and then I realize I've left Lee in there with Hubbell. I try calling the cab company from a phone booth but it's not working and I feel frustrated, heartbroken. It's late at night, I think, and the streets are empty. I turn around and Mel is standing there. We both start laughing and after we're done, she smiles and says, “Every bird that flies has the thread of the infinite in its claw.”

At that moment the cab returns... and I woke up.

I'm not quite sure why but this dream really shook me, sort filled me with this odd sense of dread. I know a dream is just a dream but... I think I need a dream analyst. Any takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment